I've always thought about family traditions for as long as I can remember. There are some I love, and others not as much. I've also always thought about how I'd want to do things with my own family one day. Well, that day is almost upon us :) I've seen a few ideas on FB over the last few months as well that I've really loved, and I wonder how I'll remember them when the time comes. So I've decided to make mention of them here, and then at least I've written them down somewhere :)
The first idea I saw earlier this year was for Easter. I think the post on FB called them Jesus baskets. And I thought, what a great idea! Too many things are turned so worldly now-a-days, all about how much stuff you get, who gets the most expensive items, etc. How do we teach our kids (and really all those around us) that there is so much more to a holiday meaning than toys and candy? Well, I think we have to start young. Like, from when they are babies. This idea for Jesus baskets changed what you would give your child on Easter. Instead of tons of candy, toys, and it seems now clothes are popular, their Easter basket would be filled with items reminding and teach of Christ. Some ideas could be books, DVD's, wall hangings (pictures of Christ, etc), and other items that would help to teach and remind your child depending on their age. Now, I won't want my kids to miss out on Easter traditions that I loved growing up, like searching everywhere for where the Easter bunny hid our baskets. I'll still want to do that. I just think the items inside the basket will differ a bit.
Birthdays. Another tradition I think I want to change with my own kids. I got this idea years ago from a dear family who I lived next to. Birthdays for me growing up meant the entire family getting together (aunts, grandparents, etc) and each family would usually give the birthday person a present. It was always a huge deal, and quite fun. This tradition still remains in my family even to this day, but recently we've had changes because our family is growing so much. Now we still get together once a month, but we only give presents to those under the age of 18. For the rest of us it is just family time. And I think that works great. For Alan's family, I'm not quite sure how it was growing up for him. But I know today nobody in their family gives birthday gifts. Unless it's to the younger kids. When it's someone's birthday, they will sometimes get together for a family dinner, but that's about it. For our kids, I don't want birthday's to be all about how many presents they get; in fact, I think that spoils them. The idea I got from my neighbors was one present on their birthday and that was that. And ya know what? The kids were completely happy with that, because that is what they always knew! They didn't need 10 presents to make it a good day, they were happy with just one. I'd love to start this tradition with my kids. On their birthday they get one gift from mom and dad, and that's that. I don't want to have a huge party where people feel expected to bring gifts. That can be hard financially. I think on the day of their birthday I'll have cake and ice cream available that evening around 7:00 and if family members want to stop by, they can. To visit, say happy birthday, have some cake, and that's all. One present and family time should be more than sufficient if that's all they know and expect. (Note: I haven't talked to Alan about this, we'll see if he agrees! lol)
And my last idea for family traditions for today is about Christmas. This one is a hard one. Christmas is a big time for family. There are Christmas traditions that haven't changed in a long time for my family, but at some point they will have to. Right now with my family we get together on Christmas Eve for games, Just Dance, and lots of treats. Then Christmas morning we get together for breakfast. But when I have our little baby, I want to do my own traditions. Yes, we will still have family time, but some time needs to be just our little family, and our own traditions. I haven't decided how to make those changes yet, but I know I will. Also, growing up we always got to open a present on Christmas Eve; it was always pajamas. It was nice and fun. I think I want to continue the tradition of a present on Christmas Eve, but maybe something to remember the religious aspect of the holiday. Use that time to remember the meaning, and then allow Christmas day to be filled with the toys, etc.
Anyway, just a few thoughts. I guess after the first year or two of having our own little baby we'll figure out what works best for us and start to establish our own traditions and memories :)
Funny how having a kid makes you think about these things, right? We sort of do the same thing with Henlie and Easter. Anything she gets is gospel-centered. First year was when MoTab released their Primary songs album. Second was some books, one about the true meaning of Christmas, and a touch and feel book about animals, which I got for an addition to her church bag :) We don't do the Easter bunny, although he is a fun character. And we still do family easter egg hunts, because they're fun :)
ReplyDeleteChristmas, we don't do Santa. We did her first year because she was only 1.5 months old, but Matt and I had never talked about Christmas traditions really until the next year. In my family, everything was from Santa. In his, there were some from Santa and some from Mom and Dad. I'd read about Santa just doing stockings, but I suck at stocking stuffers, so I didn't want to do that. In the end, he went the way of the Easter bunny. He's a fun character and we'll do Santa pictures if the opportunity presents itself, but Santa doesn't bring our presents. Everything is from Mom and Dad. Also, our Christmases have definitely been cut back after we had a really broke Christmas one year. We still get plenty spoiled from Matt's parents, so it works out well :)
Have fun making your new traditions!
I never thought about not doing Easter Bunny or Santa at all....very good thing to think about! I'm glad you shared! :)
ReplyDelete